Powder Project Logo

Ski Touring/Mountaineering Sleeping set up

Original Post
Zeke Wapner · · Takoma Park, MD · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Hello,

Trying to figure out a good setup for the upcoming winter that is both economical and light. I am debating between buying a more burly winter tent like the Nemo Tenshi 2p and keeping with my sleeping bag set up (Rab back rated to around 15 and a liner) or getting a 0 degree bag and a BD Megalight. At this point, getting the Tenshi and a new bag is out of the question financially. I would like to get in the habit of doing 2-3 day ski trips during the winter and spring. 

The majority of my time winter camping will most likely be in the west and in the spring and if its at another time I can double up on a bag or borrow some gear from someone else. It seems like the BD Megalight is widely loved if set up properly. That being said, I think just based on the more drafty nature of the Megalight it would be good to invest in a 0 degree that could really keep me warm. On the other hand, I've taken my current Rab bag and a liner out in winter/spring conditions and was cold but okay.

Let me know if you all have thoughts on this. thanks! 

Christian Schrader · · San Clemente, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

I'd check around the climbing project forum as well as other online marketplaces (facebook, craigslist etc) as you may be able to score a great bag for cheaper and/or a tent.  Worth a look!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ski & Board Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Ski Touring/Mountaineering Sleeping set up"