Powder Project Logo

Recommendations for a New Alpine Setup

Original Post
Alpine Ice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 27 days ago · Points: 0

Currently, I have a 5-year-old set of Volkl RTM 75 alpine skis with Marker 4Motion 10.0 alpine bindings.  I started skiing a lot more this year and enjoyed resort skiing on groomers, in the trees and off-piste.  We get a lot of snow where I live un upstate New York and I notice I get bogged down in deep snow with the 75 underfoot skis I have.  

I have an AT setup I purchased two seasons ago for skinning with friends and into ice climbs throughout the northeast.  For my AT gear, I'm on a set of G3 FINDr 94s, 2018 Vipec tech bindings and 2018 Scarpa Maestrale RS boots.

I guess I have a couple options.  The first being, I could buy the new Salomon Shift bindings, replace the Vipecs and use my AT skis, Shift bindings and Maestrale RS boots for both touring & alpine.

My second option would be to buy a more suitable alpine setup such as the Volkl M5 Mantra & a set of Marker Griffon 13 ID's.  The nice thing is I can use my Maestrale RS boots with the Griffon 13's, since my alpine boots (Salomon Quest 90) don't actually fit me as well as the Maestrale's do.

The third option would be the same as the second, but to buy new, alpine-focused boots like a Techinca Mach 1 120, or Atomic Hawx, etc., and not rely on my AT boots for constant resort use. My main worry about using the Maestrale's for resort use is warmth.  My understanding is an AT ski boot, for obvious reasons, won't be as warm as a dedicated alpine ski boot.  Is there any merit to this?

Any help would be great, thanks!

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

The uber lightweight AT boots like TLTs, Backlands, Proclines aren't warm but the Maestrales are bigger and have a beefy liner. They are pretty much as warm as my alpine boots. It's just cold in the Northeast and riding slow lifts can be painful. I have electric warmers in my alpine boots, and would use chemical warmers every day if I didn't.

My main reason for having dedicated alpine boots is kinda like rock shoes - they are a tight performance shoe like your Solution for sport climbing that you can take off between burns. If my feet get cold or uncomfortable at the resort, I go inside, take my boots off and have a hot chocolate. My AT boots are more of an all day TC Pro kind of fit (as such they don't ski down quite as well). If I put on crampons and front pointed with my alpine boots I might lose toes, my AT's I can climb ice no problem. Also sizing up basically makes them warmer since you can stretch and wiggle your toes easily. Not everybody fits their AT boots differently but that's my two pennies. 

Re: skis you can certainly ski any modern set of sticks at the resort including your current set, but a beefy all mountain ski with some weight to it is likely going to be better at carving fast, busting through crud etc.. than super light AT skis optimised for the up.

Edit: wow this thread is old, sorry! 

Alpine Ice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 27 days ago · Points: 0

Thanks as always, my man! I think I'm going to go with the M5 Mantra / Griffon 13 ID route and give my Maestrale's a go.  I don't normally have issues with cold feet on lifts, so I think you're right - I should be fine.  If I feel I want a more alpine-focused boot like a Mach 1 or Hawx, etc., then that leaves the door open with that ski/binding combo.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

I bet those skis won't suck :-) 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ski & Board Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Recommendations for a New Alpine Setup"