Powder Project Logo

Ava Map

Original Post
Spencer Parkin · · Bountiful · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 307

I made a map view that overlays the avalanche rose.  There are problems with this idea (i.e., the concept may be flawed), but I thought I would share it to see what people thought.  You need to wait about 20 seconds or more for the page to load.  This is not because the web-app is slow; it's because I'm using a free hosting service, and they don't give priority to non-paying customers.  Here is the link...

https://utah-ava-map.herokuapp.com/

This works best in Chrome, but will also work in Firefox and Edge.

Jacob Winey · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 1,051

Spencer, this is extremely cool. Would there be a way to make it a layer option in Caltopo?

Eric Bonin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

DUDE! Stoked! Thanks for sharing this is sweet! have you shared it with the UAC?

Jacob Winey wrote: Spencer, this is extremely cool. Would there be a way to make it a layer option in Caltopo?

Thanks.  I'd have to research CalTopo to understand it better.  I know another guy who had the same idea, and he used CalTopo.  You can find his site at the following link...

http://staff.weber.edu/derekdebruin/avyforecastmapper/v0.1.2/avyforecastmapper.htm

I'm also working on adding a topo layer option for my app.
Eric Bonin wrote: DUDE! Stoked! Thanks for sharing this is sweet! have you shared it with the UAC?

Yes, and they were concerned about the idea, and for good reasons.  The map seems to imply that there is real data to back-up every colored spot on the map, but this is not so.  I need to make it clear to the user that everything you're seeing is nothing more than an educated guess, and not necessarily a reflection of reality.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Avalanches & Safety
Post a Reply to "Ava Map"