Powder Project Logo

Why Is Powder Project Not Used More

Original Post
Will Beaubien · · Incline Village, NV · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

It seems like this could be a great resource but many backcountry routes are missing. Why?  It feels like everyone gave up on this project. 

Jacob Winey · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 1,059

Here's one view a lot of skiers are taking on it.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/10/18/powder-project-app-useful-tool-or-backcountry-heresy/

Also, from my point of view, there really aren't that many people who explore that much in the backcounty. Most people just ski areas that their friends show them, or things that they can see from the road. The group of people that venture a lot into the backcounty is fairly small, quiet about it, and already using pretty comprehensive guidebooks. I think Powder Project could become way better, but it needs to be grown to the point where it's competitive with those guidebooks.

James2 Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Because people from the mountains are sick of people moving to and ruining the mountains. It's getting contentious.

Jacob Winey · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 1,059

That's an awfully contentious thing to say.

I think it could be a great resource, for locals and visitors, if it was used more. Especially if people regularly update conditions.

Jefe Mundo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

"I think it could be a great resource, for locals and visitors, if it was used more. Especially if people regularly update conditions. "

This is exactly the problem with it....its a great resource for visitors. many of whom have no business being the in back country.

Its like the 5280 and Westword articles that encourage intermediate skier transplants from Chicago to "go experience the back country" and post articles on where when and how.

If there was some way to weed out the riffraff and keep it to locals who know what they are doinig respect the environment and danger, then it might be used more. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Powder Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Why Is Powder Project Not Used More"