Powder Project Logo

Best family friendly backcountry ski towns in Colorado?

Original Post
kris A · · norway · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Hi,
I'm a Norwegian backcountry skier planning to spend about 2 months in Colorado with my young family next spring (sometime between March-May). My wife and I are both keen and experienced ski mountaineers and we are looking for 1 or 2 towns to base ourselves in for our trip. I was hoping we could get some good tips for places to look at? Our 'criteria' is below, any suggestions !?

- Somewhere with very easy and close backcountry skiing / ski mountaineering access. we don't plan on renting or using a snowmobile so somewhere with road access is needed.
- Kid friendly town with lots of stuff to do for kids; swimming pools, parks, libraries etc..
- Lift accessed ski area nearby. Doesn't have to be the biggest, steepest etc. Just good enough for young kids.
- Affordable - looking for an airbnb or something similar ; can budget for max 3000 USD/month on accomodation..

Any tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Jacob Winey · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 1,059

You should check out Carbondale (near Aspen), and Crested Butte. Both have great ski-mountaineering nearby (see Mt. Sopris near Carbondale and Gothic Mountain near Crested Butte), and both are fantastic towns. Carbondale is a short drive from Aspen (pretty expensive skiing) and Sunlight (very cheap skiing). Both towns have great access into the Elk Range where there are plentiful options for ski mountaineering.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Best family friendly backcountry ski towns in C…"