Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Powder Project Logo

Recommendations for first set of AT boots and skis?

Original Post
Ethan Ayer · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I had a taste of AT skiing last year and this weekend I will be in Bishop ( or Mammoth) looking for a used set of skis and boots. I will be looking for a boot that fits and then skis to match them at an affordable price.  Does anyone have recommendations of what to look for?  I know the difference between tech and frame bindings but that is about it. I have never own a pair of skis. I'm not a great skier so I will be looking for very moderate backcountry routes for touring and therefore high performance is not a priority. I have done enough snow mountaineering trips to be aware of the dangers of winter backcountry trips, bad weather, and avalanche risk and I have an avy beacon.

Any advice would be great!

Jacob Winey · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 999

The most important thing is make sure you get boots that your feet are happy in. You want your foot to be snug, but without any noticeable pressure spots. If they're used boots, check out how much life is left in the soles, if there's any noticeable cuts out of the tech pieces (at the toe and heel), and make sure the walk mechanism is working well in both boots.

Definitely try to get tech bindings (instead of frames), and try to check that whatever bindings you're looking at haven't been recalled. A lot of AT bindings have gone through recalls and even if they're most likely to work fine, you'll never be able to resell them or have a shop remount them.

Ethan Ayer · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ski & Board Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Recommendations for first set of AT boots and s…"