Powder Project Logo

BD Helios 95 or 105???

Original Post
Swan Swansinger · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

I just retired my mountaineering set-up and now ski my Boundary 107’s now solely, I love them for power days on any terrain but am looking into a pair of Helios for every other type of snow. I’m very tempted by the “one ski quiver” aspect of the 105’s but am also interested in a super light-weight mountaineering set up provided by the 95’s. Any thoughts? Recommendations? If I go 95's will I be too limited? If i go 105's will they be too similar to the boundarys (besides the 2 lb difference)? I ski mostly in the Indian Peaks and RMNP, lots of spring/summer lines. Occasionally an uphill or resort day here and there. Thanks!

Ryan Nevius · · Chiang Mai, TH · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 292

I used the Helio 95s for a full season in RMNP last year and loved them. I debated long and hard between the 105 and 95, and only ended up with the 95s because the 105s were "Out of Stock" when I went to add them to my online cart. That said, I never felt like floatation was an issue on "big" powder days, and was grateful to not have a fatter ski when the spring corn came around. I've never skied the Helio 105s...so maybe I'm missing out. 

If I were you, I'd go with the 95s, especially if you're going to keep the Boundary 107s around. I think you'll prefer them on-piste over the 105s, and feel like they'd be better suited to your spring/summer objectives.

I'm also curious to read the opinions of others...so hopefully someone else can chime in. 

Swan Swansinger · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

That's great info, just what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Nick D'Hulster · · California · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

You really have to do what any rational person would do in an important decision... Flip a coin.

I have the 105's and they are excellent on heavier snow and crust as well as powder obviously. I have a pair of 95 pinnacles as more of a spring/ piste type ski and i think have that 10mm difference will give you a nice change when the seasons switch. That being said my friend had the helio 95s this winter in patagonia and said they took some getting used to on heavy snow which you won't have to worry about here in CO. He said they proformed really well as a skimo setup though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ski & Board Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD Helios 95 or 105???"